Tuesday, August 31, 2004
- The A31 Coalition plans gatherings at barricades and spontaneous free-speech zones as well as no-permit direct actions:
- 9:30 a.m. At Bank of America financial roundtable, Tavern on the Green
- All day. Actions at offices of corporations with Republican ties or those involved with the Iraq war, including: Carlyle Group, Fifth Avenue at 58th Street; The RAND Corp., 342 Madison Ave.; Chevron, 230 Park Ave., 49th to 50th streets; General Motors, 767 Fifth Ave., 58th to 59th streets, and a showroom, 599 Lexington Ave., 52nd to 53rd streets; Global Crossing, 435 W. 50th St., Ninth to Tenth avenues; Hummer of Manhattan, 55th Street and 11th Avenue
- New York Metro Area Postal Unions demonstration, 2 p.m., Eighth Avenue at 31st Street
- NARAL Pro-Choice America demonstration, 5 p.m., Union Square, North Plaza
- The War Resisters League plans to gather at Ground Zero and march in a funeral procession to Madison Square Garden for a "die-in" at 7 p.m.
- Convergence on Madison Square Garden, 7 p.m., to create a ring of "free-speech zones"
- Nonpartisan "Mobilization 2004/Let Justice Roll: Faith and Community Voices Against Poverty" rally from 7 to 9 p.m. at Riverside Church, 490 Riverside Dr.
- From 9 to 10 p.m., New Yorkers, holding flashlights, to line Broadway from West 72nd to West 125th streets to put focus on poverty and social justice issues.